Snort mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Snort Anomaly Detection

From: Andres Carrera Rivera <protoss_black88 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:31:06 -0500

  On 9/14/2010 12:35 AM, Bernhard Guillon wrote:
 On 13.09.2010 14:49, Andres Carrera Rivera wrote:
     Hi everybody,
 Does Someone work with snort like an Anomaly Detection?

 Hi,
 I used Snort with PHAD for my bachelor thesis.

Really? That's great..  I have to do the same for my Thesis, but I'm kind
of lost using preprocessors in snort.

 I wonder how could I get snort working like an anomaly engine.

 You can port algorithms to snort as preprocessors. Snort has a nice pcap
 layer :)

I've heard that, but how can I port those algorithms to my snort.?
i've tried modifying some files and adding the .C and .H files on snort

 I've heard about SPADE and PHAD, which provide anomaly detection
 but I really dont know how to install them in the latest version of
 Snort (Snort-2.8.6.X)

 So, If someone have done that before please coment.

 There is a old patch for SPADE at www.ossim.net. You should be able to
 port it to a newer version of snort.

 For PHAD you can use my patch [1].

 I use this config:

 #snort.conf
 preprocessor phad: training_time 446400

 The time is in seconds.

how can I patch my snort? I'm Working on Ubuntu and CentOS

 Testing the PAHD preprocessor with the DARPA set shows the same result
 as the original PHAD implementation. I also have written an open source
 anomaly traffic generator to create a more up to date dataset and tested
 the implementation with it. I am currently cleaning it up for
 publishing. It uses Virtual Machines some simulation theorie and Python.
 It supports modules for "normal" traffic generation
 (Firefox,email,Skype,FTP) and anomaly traffic generation (metasploit,
 nmap, and arpspoof).

Awesome! hope you finish it completely and publish it. :-)

 Do you have access to real traffic?

Actually, I use my Computer Science Lab of My college for checking the
traffic with snort
but I just check them with signatures, I want to check it with anomalies
and statistics too,
that's why I'm asking a lot for those things, hehe :-D

Thanks Again, Hope you can help me again.
 Best regards
 Bernhard Guillon

 1 http://student.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~bguillon/snort-2.8.6-spp_phad.diff