Snort mailing list archives

Re: Intel X520 and Multi-Queue Snort

From: Mike Lococo <mikelococo () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 18:22:17 -0400

Will,

Read up on TNAPI.  It is explicitly designed to do what you want I
think, as long as your card uses a TNAPI driver.  I realize this isn't
a "native" solution, but, I don't know of any, so....

http://www.ntop.org/TNAPI.html

Thanks for your response.  I've actually read that document several
times in the past, but I don't think I was prepared to fully understand
its implications until just now:

1) There are no in-kernel native linux-drivers that expose
multiple-queues to userspace.
2) For the hardware it supports (which includes X520's based on the
82599 chipset), PFRING + TNAPI is the solution to that problem.

My mind has been warped by years of primarily snorting on Endace
hardware where the standard network stack is bypassed by proprietary
drivers which are the only way to drive the hardware at all.  Those
drivers do natively expose the multiple queues in the hardware, which
colored my expectation coming into this discussion.

I'll start testing PFRING.  Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo