Snort mailing list archives

Re: Intel X520 and Multi-Queue Snort

From: Mike Lococo <mikelococo () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:14:26 -0400

Is easy to implement and alot of issue can be diagnosticed  with the
right instrumentation written into the  DAQ library.

More instrumentation in the DAQ would be great, and I wouldn't call
sig-heartbeats a replacement for better data out of the DAQ. Just that
they are available today for minimal effort, and might help some folks.

I have been following the discussion and it seem's to be leaning
toward some "defined" assumptions that if you crank crazy hardware
and load every possible rule (except some "nosier" ones) its gonna do
the job by splitting traffic at a theorical 10gbs

My main question would be if your sniffing outside at the edge of your
network, do to sniff inside also?

I'm not sure how we've gone from the start of this thread to here, but
I'm tapping out.  All I'll say is that I agree that one needs more than
a hopped-up border-snort to effectively do incident-detection, and I
rely on numerous other event-sources.  On the other hand, this is the
snort-users list, which is about the most appropriate place in the world
to have a discussion that's a bit over-focused on hopped-up
border-snorting. ;)

Cheers,
Mike Lococo