Snort mailing list archives

Re: 'only_stream' (and other alternate decode buffers) do not write out data to the logs

From: <Joshua.Kinard () us-cert gov>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:15:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Brvenik [mailto:jason.brvenik () sourcefire com]
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-devel] 'only_stream' (and other alternate
         decode buffers) do not write out data to the logs

AFAIK psuedo packet logging is gone and has been for a while.
The only output method that supports this (differently mind
you) is unified2.

If you log to unified2 it will log the event and the packet(s)
that made up the event. In your case these should be the
packets that created the reassembled pseudo packet.

Interesting.  Do you know of a particular date this might have happened
around?  I'd like to go dig into CVS and maybe re-integrate the code and
try it out.  Could've been a problem with it initially that forced the
removal.

I haven't played with unified2 that much.  I typically just log to
straight libpcap files and analyze them in WireShark.

Thanks!,

--J