Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with using 2 sensors

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:32:39 -0600

From:  Mike Boeckeler <boeckelr () gmail com>
Date:  Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:19:34 -0400
To:  Snort <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] Problem with using 2 sensors

Hi everyone,
I wanted to thank all of you for giving such detailed responses.  I am
going to try to tackle this again tonite and this weekend.

I posted my original message at the bottom of this in case you forgot the
issues involved...after reading thru all of your responses I have another
question or two:

OK, so I will set up two instances of Snort, Barnyard2, 2 unique unified2
files etc.....but what about MySQL?  Will the single MySQL database work
with this setup?  Or will I need to create a unique database for each
sensor....and then a unique install of BASE for each sensor?

Thanks again!
Mike

BTW I don't know where I got the -E command line option from.

Hi Mike,

Luckily, one mysql instance is all you need...it can handle all the snort
instances you can throw at it.

James