Snort mailing list archives

Re: Event Suppression between specific Source and Destination

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:20:04 -0500

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:04:23AM +0100, Guido Hungerbuehler wrote:
Hi

I am running snort with alert-before-log configuration (it is
necessary). How can I suppress a signature between two specific hosts?

With the 'Event Suppression' configuration it is only possible to select
either track by_src or track by_dst.

The next question is: Why is this even like this for 'Event Suppression'?

I already searched the mailing-list archive because I think this issue
has to be discussed earlier but I didn't find any information.

Thanks for your help.

If you suppress it in one direction, then you won't see the alert.  If you bi directional traffic that you want to
suppress, you need to create two suppressions

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT