Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Profiling on small pcap

From: Tony Robinson <deusexmachina667 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:45:34 -0500

Mike,

I could be quite wrong here, but as I understand it, rule profiling is only
going to give you statistics for rules that actually consumed CPU cycles
(ticks), and were actually checked. and then, only the worse performers out
of rules checked. What determines whether or a rule is checked against and
consumes CPU time would the rule trees that snort creates and whether or
not snort has your particular network traffic checked against the rule tree
where the rules you are looking to profile are actually loaded.

Additionally, I do not believe having profile statistics are going to
provide much value against a small PCAP. the idea of rule profiling
statistics being that you want to get an idea as to how much CPU time a
given rule or set of rules is going to consume against what is considered
real world traffic for your network, and whether or not the rule is going
to cause unacceptable delay in processing. and a small PCAP isn't going to
give you a sufficient cross section to determine that -- at least in my
very humble opinion.

Sincerely,

DA.