Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Profiling on small pcap

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:13:35 -0500

On Nov 12, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com> wrote:

How do you do perf test on small pcaps?  (I sense a comment from Joel
coming saying testing small pcaps isn't useful....)

It's useful, I'm not saying that.  But it's only useful to a point.

It's useful for tuning that rule on that pcap.  But your tuning to that rule may not reflect the real world.  In the
VRT we tune as best we can on the given pcap.  But then we test the rules in the real world and further tweak from
there.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT