Snort mailing list archives

Re: New install questions.

From: Doug Burks <doug.burks () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:33:31 -0500

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:
<snip>
2)      What kind of hardware do I need?  Since this is my internet sniffer
it will be seeing some rather exotic traffic and will need some careful
tuning to get right.  I would like to be able to use as many rules as
possible, but more rules = more CPU and RAM.  Given that, what kind of
hardware am I looking at to be able to use a good and thorough rule set
while not getting bogged down under peak conditions (theoretically about
3Gb/sec).

You'll probably need something like flow dividing and pinning to CPUs.
There are lots of articles out there on this information.  One of the more
recent that discuss this topic (although it really doesn't tell you how to
configure Snort:
http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2013/02/multi-core-scaling-its-not-multi.html
)  Worth a good read.  I believe the Security Onion distro does this now
(Doug, care to confirm?)

Security Onion includes PF_RING, so you can divide your traffic
amongst as many Snort instances as you have cores.

Doug