Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Start up error

From: Said Nurhussein <saidnur34 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 02:42:34 +0000

Hello Friends,
I un-installed, re-installed snort again, recreated the directories, it's  is now starting OK.
Thank you all for your help!!!

Said Nurhussein

From: amani () fastmail us
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:04:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort Start up error

I've run into this a time or two myself when I had commented out something above, where the line before what I'd
commented out wasn't fully terminated (i.e. had a "\" at the end to indicate multi-line config). I'd take a look at
what's directly above the line for including your classification.config (probably the IP rep preprocessor), and see if
you accidentally messed something up there.

Also, verify that this directory exists: /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rules

If not, then: sudo touch /usr/local/snort/rules/black_list.rules

In /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf, verify that this line:

var BLACK_LIST_PATH ../rules

var BLACK_LIST_PATH /usr/local/snort/rules