Snort mailing list archives

Re: Regarding Coding for Snort

From: Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:04:37 +0530

Hi Waldo,

    Thanks for the wise reply.

    Actually I want to write My own rule for recognizing and generating
alert (possibly block them ) for DDoS attack.

    There are four types of rules I found in the snort while running NIDS
mode by omitting -e switch

   1. Decoder Rule
   2. Detection rules
   3. Preprocessor rules
   4. Dynamic Rules

    So I need *your suggestion* which one is

    *effective*, *easy to understand* and *write* ??

    Please guide !!

    That will be a great favour to me !!

 you still do not say what kind of code you are talking about... if you are
 talking about standard GID:1 text rules, then choose something you want to
 monitor for... like DNS or NETBIOS traffic... or possibly something
easier like
 POP3 or SMTP traffic... then you could use the protocol specs of those to
create
 rules for the different stages of the protocol so that you could alert as
each
 stage was triggered...

if you are talking about coding GID:3 shared object rules, there is a
skeleton
for such to give a start... generally speaking, rules are written in C and
compiled just like any other shared objects... i do not have any specific
experience writing GID:3 rules, though...

you have the same thing as the GID:3 rules for creating your own
preperocessor
to perform some task on the packets... again, this is an area i do not know
about other than having seen others talk about it occasionally...

have you looked on the snort.org web site for any type of development
packages
related to your chosen task? that's where i would expect to find samples
and
tutorials of this nature...

  Thanks !!
*
*
*--
Cheers,
Mayur*

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM, waldo kitty
<wkitty42 () windstream net<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=wkitty42 () windstream net>
wrote:

    But In this case, I just want the topic on which I could do this
work in
short time.

    My goal is to write code for Rules of snort achieved in 4-5 days
which
should be 80 -100 lines.

[...]

    Seeking for guidance,
    Thanks !!
*
*
*--*
*Cheers,*
*Mayur*

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire
com<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=jesler () sourcefire com>
<
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=jesler () sourcefire com

wrote:

    It seems that you are either:

    A) Asking this for an assignment or
    B) Have no idea what you are asking.

    What are you trying to accomplish.  What is your end goal?

    On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:55 PM, Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 () gmail
com<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=ram.nath241089 () gmail com>
    <
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=ram.nath241089 () gmail com

    wrote:

    Hi Waldo,

        Two of them which will take*less time and efficient *would be
choice
    for my work.
        A preprocessor? GID:3 shared object rules?
        Seeking for guidance,

        Thanks !!

         On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM, waldo kitty<
wrote:

        On 7/18/2013 07:40, Mayur Patil wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        >     First of all sorry for silly question.
        >
        >     I want to know what can I do in snort as coding part
        >
        >     which could be done in 4-5 days ??
        >
        >    Seeking for guidance,

        coding what? a preprocessor? GID:3 shared object rules?

        you have to be more specific...