Snort mailing list archives

Re: data base

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:43:00 -0400

On 7/26/2013 07:30, Abid Ayoub wrote:
Hi

Thanks a lot , this is clear now.

So , barnyard2 will save in the data base only the alert ? can i make a
configuration to tell barnyard to save all the traffic ?

i don't understand... save all what traffic? BY2 can only save what snort puts
in the unified2 log file... snort only puts in the unified2 log file that
traffic which causes it to raise an alert based on the rules employed...

Thanks
Abid

2013/7/26 waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net <mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>>

    On 7/26/2013 05:05, Abid Ayoub wrote:
     > Hi,
     >

     > Thank you for the answer.
     > ok , so i should run barnyard2 then run snort. In this case, branyard2 will
     > detect the new generated file by snort and put the data into snort data
    base. is
     > this right ?

    yes... you should be able to execute them in either order... i don't believe
    that is critical...

     > you mention "unified2 log file" , is this the gnerated file by snort ? for
     > examlpe snort.log.1374827257 ?

    the name depends on your configuration... by default (and with -A full -b) snort
    creates a text file of all the alerts named alert and it creates a new
    snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx for each session... these snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx files are
    actually pcaps of the data that caused snort to raise the alerts...

     > So when i run  the following command :
     > /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf -d
     > /var/log/snort -f snort.u2 -w /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

    previously and now, when i see the "-f snort.u2" portion, i'm guessing that that
    indicates which base file name BY2 is to read and process...

     > snort.u2 is the genrated file, read by barnyard2 from te directrory
    /var/log/snort ?
     > should i mention other options in barnyard2 command ?

    if my guess above is accurate, you have at least this in your snort config...

        output unified2: filename snort.u2

    you may have additional parameters enhancing it... this results in files named
    snort.u2.xxxxxxxxxx in your snort log directory... those are the unified2 log
    files... one for each session that snort is executed...

    FWIW: snort.u2 is the base file name and the .xxxxxxxxxx (10 digits) are the
    unix timestamp of when the file was created ;)