Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 reports database insert errors

From: Dave Corsello <snort-users () wintertreemedia com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:52:05 -0500

|interactive_timeout |is not configured in my.cnf or in the startup script. I can't think of anything that could be killing mysqld. Do you have anything specific in mind? The primary functions of this machine are MySQL server, Apache (for BASE) and SSH. I can't correlate the timing of the errors to any processes (like the backup) that run on a schedule.

I failed to mention that I'm also getting fatal errors in dbProcessSignatureInformation from time to time:

Nov  4 06:53:28 snort1 barnyard2[24761]: INFO [dbProcessSignatureInformation()]: [Event: 1] with [gid: 1] [sid: 13990] [rev: 16]
[classification: 12] [priority: 2] Signature Message -> "[SQL union select - possible sql injection attempt - GET
parameter]" was not found in barnyard2 signature cache, this could mean its is the first time the signature is processed, and
will be inserted in the database with the above information, this message should only be
printed once for each signature that is not present in the database. The new inserted signature will not have its
information present in the sig_reference table, it should be present on restart if the information is present in the
sid-msg.map file. You can allways update the message via a SQL query if you want it to be displayed correctly by your
favorite interface
Nov  4 06:53:28 snort1 barnyard2[24761]: [dbProcessSignatureInformation()]: ERROR inserting new signature
Nov  4 06:53:28 snort1 barnyard2[24761]: FATAL ERROR: [dbProcessSignatureInformation()]: Failed, stoping processing

I've seen other discussions of this error, but have not done any debugging. I don't know if this fatal error is related in any way to the insert errors that we've been discussing, but I'm including it in this thread in case you might find a correlation. I got them several times about a year ago, and then three times over the past couple of weeks, twice on one sensor and once on the other, at random times. The only changes that I made recently (besides changing the NIC type from Flexible to E1000 on the MySQL machine) were upgrades to Snort, daq and pulledpork to the latest versions. I upgraded to ver 2.1.13 of barnyard2 months ago.

The insert errors that we had been discussing happen almost daily, and there was no change in frequency after the software updates that I just mentioned.