Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 reports database insert errors

From: Dave Corsello <snort-users () wintertreemedia com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:56:42 -0500

On 11/5/2013 11:17 AM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 11/5/2013 10:52 AM, Dave Corsello wrote:
|interactive_timeout |is not configured in my.cnf or in the startup script.  I
can't think of anything that could be killing mysqld.  Do you have anything
specific in mind?
i don't know what they might have been thinking about but many systems are
running in a VM and the VM OS is killing processes when memory get too low...
this could be one place where mysqld is being killed and then later restarted
when memory consumption is less...

Waldo, the host has plenty of excess RAM, and my overall memory
consumption is very low.  So, I doubt that this is happening.  Even so,
I did research a day or so ago on how to prevent memory from being
reassigned, and based on what I found, I reserved memory for this VM.
If I'm not mistaken, this should make what you're describing even less
likely.  I still got insert errors after reserving RAM.