Snort mailing list archives

Fwd: Snort 'hangs'

From: conma293 <conma293 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:15:58 +1200

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Matheus Condi'ez" <conma293 () gmail com>
Date: 9 April 2014 4:17:49 PM NZST
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Snort 'hangs'

I have Snort running as an Ubuntu VM on a fedora host in two seperate dev environments with differing levels of
traffic - one predominantly smtp (low levels) one web (high levels).

Versions -

Snort: v2.9.6
Barnyard2-1.13
DAQ: v2.0.2

Current ruleset is community rules 28th Mar

The sensor in the low traffic smtp environment runs smooth

The sensor in the other environment however...
Snort runs fine for 3~9days, it will then stop outputting U2's for Barnyard.  Upon attempting to kill the snort
process under sudo and/or root it fails to actually kill the process.  Killing the barnyard2 process is fine, as is
killing the snort process if it is still outputting unified2.

I often see the following outputs, which may or may not be related (almost certainly not by2) -

Snort:  s5: session exceeded configured max bytes to queue LWstate 0x1 LWFlags (have updated memcap to half the max
@500MB)

Barnyard2:  'lonely packet'; WARNING database called with Event Type [7] (P)acket [0x0]

I am at a loss as what to do now as I seem to have to reboot the sensor to kill the snort process every couple of
days or so.