tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:22:37 -0800

On Mar 23, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

This is what I would propose as revision.
Note that the pcap1_packet_header is present on every packet. One can
merge pcap files together with "cat" if one likes.

OK - that's a bit much to write for every packet, though, as most of it is redundant.

Does each record have a pcap1_packet_header and *one* pcap1_info_container, or one or more up to block_len bytes? If the latter, you could have more than one packet per pcap1_packet header.

A suggestion was made to accomodate the nano-second resolution from AIX.
Can you tell me what they do for that? just more bits, sure, but is
there a nano-seconds (32-bits, I guess) + seconds (64 bits?).

32-bit seconds, 32-bit nanoseconds.

enum pcap1_info_types {
        PCAP_DATACAPTURE,
        PCAP_TIMESTAMP,
};

...with that list presumably being expandable over time.

struct pcap1_info_container {
        bpf_u_int32 info_len;         /* in bytes */
        bpf_u_int32 info_type;        /* enum pcap1_info_types */
        unsigned char info_data[0];
};

struct pcap1_info_timestamp {
        struct pcap1_info_container pic;
        bpf_int32      thiszone;        /* gmt to local correction */

We currently have that but don't use it - it's always zero. Should we start using it?

        struct timeval ts;      /* time stamp */
        bpf_u_int32 sigfigs;    /* accuracy of timestamps */

Similarly, that's never been set - should we start using it?

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe