tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: proposed new pcap format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:32:40 -0800

On Mar 24, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

Do I feel some desire for bpf.c to change, as well ?

Yes.

I'd like to see BPF supply a set of flags with every packet. Those could include a received/sent indication, and the broadcast and multicast flags (and perhaps also a "promiscuous" flag).

I'd also like to see an "FCS length" indication. That'd do a better job of handling interfaces whose drivers arrange that received packets include the FCS - Ethereal currently uses a hack to try to guess whether a frame has an FCS or not (if the trailer is longer than it needs to be, it's assumed to be trailer+FCS), but it'd be nice to have it know for sure, and *if* there are any PPP implementations that support an FCS and supply the FCS to BPF, it'd help there as well (so the length indication wouldn't just be "FCS absent"/"FCS present", in case there are implementations that support both 2-byte and 4-byte FCS's).

It might also be useful to supply receive error indications - I think some drivers, when promiscuous mode is turned on, turn off some or all "discard bad packets" flags for the interface (e.g., the EEPRO100 driver in FreeBSD appears to turn off the "discard short packets" flag in promiscuous mode). Those flags might be link-layer-type-dependent.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe