tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: "Loris Degioanni" <loris () netgroup-serv polito it>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:08:42 -0700

Hi,

Loris had previously written up an ID on a proposed pcap format.
It is similar, but not identical to what I had proposed.

It is in xml2rfc (rfc2629) format.
I can't say if the IETF would or should ever consider publishing it.
I think it is likely out of scope for IETF. (maybe Bill can comment).

I have placed it into:
  libpcap/doc/pcap.{xml,txt,html}

and
  http://www.tcpdump.org/pcap/pcap.html
  http://www.tcpdump.org/pcap/pcap.txt

I'd like to ask Loris if he'd consider being our scribe.

It depends on what "our scribe" means: I'll be around the world during the
next month, and I'll not be able to work regularly on the document.
Moreover, I'll like to understand if the list agrees with the idea of
proposing an Internet Draft that defines a standard network trace format.

Loris

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.