tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Buffer size question

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:51:28 -0700

Gianluca Varenni wrote:

...like pcap_setbuff(), as implemented in WinPcap...

...and which I already know about.

Unfortunately, given that, on systems with BPF, you cannot change the buffer size after a BPF device has been bound to a network interface, "pcap_setbuff()" is unimplementable on those systems, so it's not a candidate for libpcap.

Some mechanism to supply that information at open time, whether it's an additional argument (which I think is the right long-term answer), a change to libpcap so that it doesn't reduce the buffer size below the default (which libpcap 0.8 already does), or an environment-variable based mechanism (which is probably an OK short-term answer, if just boosting the default isn't acceptable - a very large default runs the risk of running out of kernel address space, which I've managed to do on at least one OS using BPF; that caused a network configuration daemon not to be able to work, which left my machine unusable).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.