tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: TCPDUMP 4.0.1rc1 and LIBPCAP 1.0.1rc1 available for testing

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:26:23 -0800

On Dec 21, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

When I run it, I get

./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm not an expert about linux shared objects, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm not, either, but, given that 1.0[.x] has a different major version number from 0.9.x (and 0.8.x and 0.7.x and so on), you might have to run ldconfig to add the new shared library to the shared library cache list (some UN*X run-time linkers have such a cache list, others don't).

Is it my fault or something within the installation of the libpcap shared object?

I'm not sure whether the convention is that a library's Makefile (or libtool, if the library uses libtool - we don't) should, on platforms that have ldconfig, run ldconfig after installing the library, so I don't know whether we should be doing that or not.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.