tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: TCPDUMP 4.0.1rc1 and LIBPCAP 1.0.1rc1

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:36:15 +1300

The default install path is probably /usr/local, have you checked
if /usr/local/lib is in your library path?

See /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

Stephen.

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 01:25 -0800, Gianluca Varenni wrote:
I have some problems using the shared version of libpcap.

Environment: fresh installation of a Debian 4.0r5 x86

I compiled the 1.0.1rc1 sources with

make shared;make install;make install-shared

(BTW, you need to run both "install" and "install-shared" because the latter
doesn't install the include files)

After that I successfully compiled the following test app:

----
#include "pcap.h"

int main()
{
 pcap_if_t *alldevs;
 pcap_if_t *d;
 char errbuf[PCAP_ERRBUF_SIZE+1];

 /* Retrieve the device list */
 if(pcap_findalldevs(&alldevs, errbuf) == -1)
 {
  fprintf(stderr,"Error in pcap_findalldevs: %s\n", errbuf);
  return -1;
 }

 /* Free the device list */
 pcap_freealldevs(alldevs);

 return 1;
}
----

with "gcc test.c -lpcap"

When I run it, I get

./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1: cannot open
shared  object file: No such file or directory

I'm not an expert about linux shared objects, maybe I'm doing something
wrong.
Is it my fault or something within the installation of the libpcap shared
object?

Thanks
GV