tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: MIME type for libpcap-format capture files

From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler () tolaris com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:13:09 +0100

On Thursday 16 October 2008 20:39:39 Guy Harris wrote:
I've considered biting the bullet and writing up a pcap(5) man page,
as part of libpcap.  Libpcap 1.0 will probably come out later this
month, so perhaps it's time to write it.

Do you mean something like utmp(5)?  If so, I think I can take on the drudgery
of writing that.  Unless pcap files have become a lot more complicated since
0.8.

That's a good question. I'm not familiar with Pcap-NG so I will let
others answer but I suggest asking the question, "is a user likely
to need different treatment for Pcap-NG files or is the user likely
to consider Pcap-NG and plain Pcap to be substantially different
types?". If the answer is no, I recommend that they share the same
MIME type.

I think the answer would be "no".

On a related subject, what are "extended pcap" files?  Attached is the mime
type I wrote, recently modified for Phil's recommendations.  I took the pcap
header values from /usr/share/file/magic, which had four possible values for
the beginning of a libpcap capture:

0  ubelong  0xa1b2c3d4      tcpdump capture file (big-endian)
0  ulelong  0xa1b2c3d4      tcpdump capture file (little-endian)
0  ubelong  0xa1b2cd34      extended tcpdump capture file (big-endian)
0  ulelong  0xa1b2cd34      extended tcpdump capture file (little-endian)

What are these last two?

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's
own opinion."

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.