tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: MIME type for libpcap-format capture files

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:56:11 -0700

On Oct 16, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Phil Vandry wrote:

I was thinking it would belong in the standard tree (RFC4288 3.1). This
requires writing an RFC.

At least as I read RFC 4288, that applies only to proposals that come from the IETF; all that's needed is *some* published standard:

  4.10.  Publication Requirements

     Proposals for media types registered in the standards tree by the
IETF itself MUST be published as RFCs. RFC publication of vendor and personal media type proposals is encouraged but not required. In all
     cases the IANA will retain copies of all media type proposals and
"publish" them as part of the media types registration tree itself.

     As stated previously, standards tree registrations for media types
     defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be
described by a formal standards specification produced by that body.
     Such specifications MUST contain an appropriate media type
     registration template taken from Section 10.  Additionally, the
copyright on the registration template MUST allow the IANA to copy it
     into the IANA registry.

It might be *nice* to have an RFC for pcap format (just as there's already an RFC for snoop format, and pcap-NG format is described in the form of an I-D:

        http://www.winpcap.org/ntar/draft/PCAP-DumpFileFormat.html

although I don't think it's submitted as one), but, as we (tcpdump.org) would presumably qualify as "[another] standards [body]", it appears that it'd be sufficient to publish a man page or other spec ourselves, with an appropriate copyright (would a BSD license count?), and with a registration template.

(We'd be registering a subtype name, not a type name, as I understand it.)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.