tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap linux direction

From: "David H. Lynch Jr." <dhlii () dlasys net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 06:46:29 -0400

Thanks;
    How does one use pcap to transmit to both the net and the local host ?
    This seems to work with winpcap in colinux.

Aaron Turner wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM, David H. Lynch Jr. <dhlii () dlasys net> wrote:

   I am using libpcap under linux as a pseudo NIC for an embeded system
emulator.
   I have no difficulty trapping a linux interface and sending and
receiving packets to the outside net.
   However, I am unable to send/receive packets to the IP of the
interface I  am trapping.
   I have tried adding a  pcap_setdirection(pd, PCAP_D_INOUT) which
succeeds but changes nothing.

Correct.  You can't send traffic out an interface and expect it to be
delivered to the same host.   It doesn't work that way.
pcap_setdirection() is for limiting what packets are *read* by libpcap
and has nothing with packet injection.

--
Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to
move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.