tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: reconstruct HTTP requests in custom sniffer

From: Cedric Cellier <rixed () happyleptic org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:33:33 +0100

I am asked to write a custom sniffer with libpcap on Linux that has to
handle a load of 50.000 packets per second. The sniffer has to detect all
HTTP requests and dump the URI with additional information, such as
request size and possibly response time/size.

Looks very similar to :

http://github.com/securactive/junkie

if you can live with the AGPL, maybe we could join forces ?

Regarding the load of 50.000 packets a second, is this expected to be a problem?

Junkie handle this rate of packets (quite more actually) on one of our test probe running on a 8 core PC, with plenty
of CPU left. So I bet this is not a problem.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.