tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new Link-layer header type

From: <HPfrommer () hilscher com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:32:47 +0200

Cool, thanks alot!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org [mailto:tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org] Im Auftrag von Guy
Harris
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. September 2011 10:17
An: tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org
Betreff: Re: [tcpdump-workers] Request for new Link-layer header type

On Sep 14, 2011, at 12:31 AM, <HPfrommer () hilscher com> wrote:

Yes, that's right, these are the sequences described in sections 3.2.1 and 3.2.2. Even though, in hexadecimal
notation this would be 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 and 0xd5, respectively (as denoted in section 3.3)

Sigh.  I guess the bottommost bit is shown first because it's the first bit transmitted, which probably makes sense to
hardware people; I guess we software people who usually see the high-order bit shown first just have to remember that
IEEE standards do things differently.

In any case, I've assigned 240 as DLT_ETHERNET_HILSCHER/LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_HILSCHER, for non-transparent packets (with
the 4-byte pseudo-header before the Ethernet header, but without the preamble or SFD), and 241 as
DLT_ETHERNET_HILSCHER_TRANSPARENT/LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_HILSCHER_TRANSPARENT, for transparent packets (with the 4-byte
pseudo-header followed by the 7-byte preamble, followed by the 1-byte SFD, followed by the Ethernet header), and
checked that, including filter support, into the libpcap trunk and 1.2 branch.

(That's 11110000 and 11110001, not 00001111 and 10001111. :-) :-) :-))

I'll add tcpdump support for printing those packets (it'll ignore the pseudo-header and, for
DLT_ETHERNET_HILSCHER_TRANSPARENT, the preamble and SFD), and add the two new link-layer types to

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

along with a page containing your description of the pseudo-header (but I'll leave the "transparent" bit out, as that's
indicated by the link-layer header type).-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

Hilscher Gesellschaft für Systemautomation mbH
Rheinstr. 15, 65795 Hattersheim
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hattersheim
Geschäftsführer: Hans-Jürgen Hilscher
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister: Frankfurt B 26873
www.hilscher.com

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.