tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new Link-layer header type

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:42:12 -0700

On Sep 14, 2011, at 1:16 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

In any case, I've assigned 240 as DLT_ETHERNET_HILSCHER/LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_HILSCHER, for non-transparent packets (with
the 4-byte pseudo-header before the Ethernet header, but without the preamble or SFD), and 241 as
DLT_ETHERNET_HILSCHER_TRANSPARENT/LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_HILSCHER_TRANSPARENT, for transparent packets (with the 4-byte
pseudo-header followed by the 7-byte preamble, followed by the 1-byte SFD, followed by the Ethernet header), and
checked that, including filter support, into the libpcap trunk and 1.2 branch.

I checked in a change to replace "ETHERNET_HILSCHER" with "NETANALYZER" in the names, matching your original request;
that shortens the names and makes it clearer that they apply to the product(s) rather than the company.

I've also checked in tcpdump changes to support DLT_NETANALYZER and DLT_NETANALYZER_TRANSPARENT.  I'm in the process of
updating the link-layer type pages on the Web site.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.