Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Window manager - implementation bug/feature ???

From: mej () ETERM ORG (Michael Jennings)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:54:31 -0700

On Thursday, 07 October 1999, at 11:01:55 (-0600),
Erik Parker wrote:

However, /dev/hdc is not his CDrom unless his primary hard drive is
SCSI, and his cdrom is primary IDE.. then I can understand
that.. but it doesn't sound like that is the case.. sounds like the
user when the login has access to everything on that drive.

According to hd(4):

       Hd*  are  block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives
       in raw mode.  The master drive on  the  primary  IDE  conĀ­
       troller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is
       hdb.  The master drive of  the  second  controller  (major
       device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd.

So if he has two IDE hard drives on his primary controller and an IDE
CD-ROM on his second controller (as my home machine does), his first
HD will be /dev/hda, his second will be /dev/hdb, and his CD-ROM will
be /dev/hdc.  I don't see a problem with having read-write access to a
read-only device....  :-)

Michael

--
 "Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
  pound in the correct screw."                              -- Unknown