Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Proxy stuff

From: Gregor Binder <gbinder () sysfive com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:35:57 +0100

Grzegorz,

Is there any possibileties of braking usable ports limitation, what i mean
is My company has instaled proxy that will not put me throught any
other port than 80 and 25. Is there still any possibilety of use telnet
ftp (on their own ports) ?

if this is a proxy, and not just a packet filter, or maybe an app
level gateway, simple redirection using some host on the internet may
not be an option. If both your workstation at work and your host on
the internet are UNIX machines, setting up a fairly flexible
redirection could be as easy as having an sshd listen on one of the
unrestricted ports and using the -p, -R and -L switches with ssh.

You also might want to check anonymizer.com, I think they offer some
sort of tunnelling services for those who are willing to pay for it.

Your best option is definitely to ask whoever is responsible for the
gateway to open up telnet and ftp. You will get best results if you
can express some business need for your request ;) Even if not, your
chances could be good, at least in the case of telnet. I doubt that
telnet access has been a major reason for configuring restrictive
firewalls in most environments :)

A way to "work around" your security policy, while MAYBE not really
violating it might be browser-based access to the protocols you
desire to use. I have seen Java-applets for telnet, and something like
phpgroupware(.org) could be used for browser based napster et al. This
of course requires that you have access to a webserver where you can
install all those nice tools.

Regards,
  Gregor.

--
Gregor Binder  <gbinder () sysfive com>  http://www.sysfive.com/~gbinder/
sysfive.com GmbH             UNIX. Networking. Security. Applications.