Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: H D Moore <hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:50:19 -0500

So thats what those mini-ping floods my web servers keep getting are.
Every morning for a couple hours I get pinged by random dialup and
broadband users, I was starting to get worried there was a massive DDoS
gearing up ;)  Any more infomration about exactly what version of IE/AD
does this would be helpful.  Thanks!

-HD

"Scott D. Yelich" wrote:

One thing I have noticed about the PC, with winblows, is that it seems
that just about every single new program I run across wants to connect
back out to the internet.  To me, it's VERY scary to reboot my PC and
see zone alarm come up with (to me what seems like) random programs
wanting to connect out to the net.  I'm sure this has been mentioned
before,  but it seems like either IE or active-desktop or something
wants to  ping like the last 10 visited URLs upon start/launch.  It's
kind of silly to be able to write a script to monitor your web logs to
know when a friend/stalker has signed on.

Is anyone else growing alarmed by this seemingly new trend?