Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FW: Nokia *bsd variant

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:41:20 -0500

(How about I send it to the right place this time?)

I've actually gotten FBSD binaries to run on ipso.  It's a real pain though,
you must statically compile them, or play musical shared libraries.  Neither
of these options are very fun.  Compiling locally on IPSO is a task I dare
not attempt, as there are no headers or anything.  You'd be a lot better off
trying to get the IPSO binary to run on FreeBSD, and writing an exploit for
it, then trying to get the binary exploit to work under IPSO.

Just a little background: IPSO is the *IX derivative which runs on Nokia
"Check Point Appliances".  Basically, it's a Pentium II that's been
re-packaged to look nice rack-mounted.  IPSO is FreeBSD with a lot of custom
kernel stuff, and only very specific hardware support has been compiled in.

If you do sucessfully find an exploit, please post it, along with how you
did it.  As a reseller of Nokia Appliances, I'm very interested in hearing
what you've found so far, as well as how you're progressing in finding an
exploit.

Oh yes... Make sure to notify Nokia and give them time to release a patch.
They've been pretty good about keeping things up-to-date.

--Noah Dunker
Network Security Engineer
FishNet Security