Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cons and Security Validation

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:15:17 -0800

Crispin Cowan wrote:

We're trying to pick some conventions that have strong "capture the
flag" like games, to do some validation on our Immunix security
technologies, similar to the Type Enforcement machine that was at DefCon
last year.  We're already booked to go to DefCon this year, but we're
looking for another/sooner convention to go to for a warm-up.

I personally consider these a less than ideal way to get that kind of
feedback.  I don't really have time to do a full hacking contests
rant right now... short version is that I'm not against them per se..
but I have a particular set of standards for what I consider the
"right way" to run one.

In particular answer to your question, I'd rather have a box available
to me to try and break at my leisure.  When I'm at a con, I already
can't do half of the stuff I want to.  If you want to impress people,
and actually get a little research done, keep a box available at
all times at hack.immunix.com or something.  Make the prize, if any,
something nominal.

I get really annoyed by hacking contests that are only for a few days
or a week.  I want to play, but I rarely have time at the moment
of the contest.  The prize amount isn't a factor for me for whether
I'll participate or not.  If I really want a prize, I'll get my own
copy of Pitbull or Immunix, run it on a lab machine, and develop a
private exploit.  Then I'll sit on the exploit until contest time.

Me sitting on an exploit doesn't serve anybody.  So far I really like
the work going into the Immunix project.  I'd hate to see you guys
pull what some would see as a marketing scam.  Don't get me wrong..
nothing wrong with having your box as a target in CTF... what would be
wrong would be Immunix later saying it's secure based on lack of a breakin
during CTF.

                                        BB