Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: "Jason Lewis" <jlewis () packetnexus com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:08:25 -0400

The internet isn't a big hub.  If I connect a machine with an IP that is
identical to yours, I don't knock you off the net.  There is routing and
switching involved.  If you change your IP to 192.168.1.1 (example IP), the
entire net needs to know how to get to your IP.  Just changing it doesn't
make that happen.  Changing IP's isn't a DDoS.

How about this instead?  A worm that is not only windows, but also unix
based.  It carries payload for each OS.  It works similar to CodeRed and
replicates itself.  It also installs a zombie client and creates backdoors.
Imagine a worm that wraps all the viruses in the 16 months into one.  What
if it actively searched out victims while also using Outlook to propagate
itself.

BTW, I want the 5 minutes back that it took me to read that paper.  I also
didn't cc Mark, he probably gets enough junk mail.

Jason Lewis
http://www.packetnexus.com
It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure".
The people at the other end of the link know less
about security than you do. And that's scary.