Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:43:08 -0400

The zap on Network Solutions demonstrated this years ago.  Be careful
about claims on originality.  cache poisoning got 'em.

Michael Tench wrote:

Actually I recently wrote a paper on how a cracker can
effectively bring the net down. Perhaps later I will
post the entire thing on my website. Here is the brief
version:

1) The Internet has a limited number of root name
servers.
2) An application can easilly be created to perform a
DOS attack on these root servers.

Considering that most of the traffic on the net
requires DNS, this would eefectively bring the
Internet down to it's knees. This would be nearly
impossible to stop.

my .04
Ad Astrada,
Michael Tench