Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Valid characters on one o/s are invalid on another

From: ian <cheeken () cs bu edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:03:21 -0400

kind of off on a tangent but at windev tony mason from osr
mentioned you can create files with NULLs embedded
in their name if you write a file system driver (this is all windows based obv)

they can't be removed, not only by userland command line/gui tools
but by the win32 api's themselves....

haven't tried it and i'm going on what he told us but it's kinda interesting eh?

ian

"Juan M. Courcoul" wrote:

Rather than finangling with BASIC, I'd suggest you do this using one of
the excellent Perl packages:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/ports/index.html#win32

Having obtained that, you can either zap the offending file with a quick
one-liner, or you can delve as deep as you want within the OS with an
adequate script. The language, per se, has no restrictions regarding the
characters of the filename, the size, etc., other than those imposed by
the underlying filesystem, since you'll be running under the Perl
interpreter (instead of COMMAND.COM et.al.). Plus you'll have the bonus
of getting an excellent administration platform, supported on virtually
any operating system.

JMC
$x=25;print substr(',rekcah lreP rehtona tsuJ',$x,1) while --$x >= 0

Craig Boston wrote:

Tested this both locally and over a network and the wildcard idea was able to
get rid of the files ending with a dot.  For the sake of being cautions,
"filename?" seems to be able to handle it as well without resorting to *

Win2k doesn't come with BASIC, so I snagged a copy of qbasic off one of the
NT4 machines.  It doesn't seem to understand long file names so I wasn't able
to do anything useful with it.

It seems these files (and possibly other files that the shell refuses to deal
with) can also be deleted by doing a DIR /X and deleting the DOS 8.3 name
directly.  Surprisingly, this seems to work on remote systems over the network
as well.

The shell should probably still be fixed as there are lots of clueless newbie
NT admins who don't know how to use the command-line...  Of course they
probably have bigger security problems anyway.