Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: nonsuid overflows... still at risk?

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () bos bindview com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:02:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, KF wrote:

exactly what I was thinking... crontab -e calls vi to open the users
crontab... this is why I was wondering if it could be exploited due to
the fact that crontab is suid.

Not really. As long as crontab itself is not broken, it should invoke vi
without additional priviledges. Otherwise, you can always type ':!sh' in
command mode and you do not need buffers overflows to do that.

--
Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () bos bindview com] [security]
[http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};: