Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

crontab and sgid (was: nonsuid overflows... still at risk?)

From: Tomasz Grabowski <cadence () apollo aci com pl>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:43:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Michal Zalewski wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, KF wrote:

exactly what I was thinking... crontab -e calls vi to open the users
crontab... this is why I was wondering if it could be exploited due to
the fact that crontab is suid.

Not really. As long as crontab itself is not broken, it should invoke vi
without additional priviledges.

While there is discussion about crontab...
'crontab' should only be suid and *no* sgid I know that, but I think it
should be common practice that if You are using suids in Your software You
should check both euid and egid. Just in case someone screwed something
up.

I saw this situation few times on Unix systems - 'crontab' was suid and
sgid to root. In this situation You can use $EDITOR to execute something
with euid=root.
I don't know why there was sgid.
Maybe the reason was one of the following:
- broken RPM
- bad practice:if You want to remove suid bit You simply type 'chmod a-s',
but after that if You want to set that bit back You can sometimes do
'chmod a+s' instead of 'chmod u+s'.
- some kind of backdoor
- something wrong with the distributon itself

I'am wondering if someone too saw sgid bit on the 'crontab' binary and can
tell us what is the reason of that situation?

---
Tomasz Grabowski  (0-91)4333950
Akademickie Centrum Informatyki
mailto:cadence () man szczecin pl