Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: "Kinsey, Robert" <Robert.Kinsey () Veridian com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:32:16 -0700

Forgive me my seeming ignorance but isn't the concept behind the code green
to only have it sent to confirmed infected systems?

Also, if you can determine (through whatever means) a box hitting your
network is infected, why not simply send the file/code to fix the problem to
whomever owns the box (not always easy to find).  This accomplishes two
things - 1) it gets the file to the infected site and 2) you are not guilty
of [essentially] doing the same thing as the original malicious code.

If any code came through my site and executed (first I would question my
site security) I would ID that file as a virus/worm (I think that's the
original definition, isn't it???).  Instead of taking your valuable time to
write a code to fix the problem, why not 1) take the box off-line, 2) bounce
the box (dumps the worm out of the cache), 3) INSTALL THE F#$%ING PATCH, and
4) restart the box.

As for the script-kiddies.  That's akin to thanking a burglar for breaking
into your home, showing you that your locks are weak - how's that for
logic???

<shrug>

my .02 worth...