Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: UCD-4.2.2 snmptrapd verification

From: Olaf Kirch <okir () caldera de>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:02:33 +0100

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:39:51AM -0500, KF wrote:
http://www.security-focus.com/bid/4088 stated that UCD-4.2.2 was not
vulnerable to trap handling vulnerabilities.
I can verify that this is NOT the case and that it is indeed vulnerable
to the trap issues.

When we investigated this issue in OpenLinux we also found that snmptrapd
was dying, but when wr investigated this we found that these crashes were
caused by libdb, which by default replaces snprintf() with an
implementation that simply does a vsprintf() on the arguments.  Needless to
say, snmptrapd is linked against libdb for some reason or other.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir () monad swb de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax