Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Problem with xkill

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:51:53 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Joe Gruppuso wrote:

This was merely a controlled experiment; I was curious at to what it
would do (In otherwards, I asked for the ability to be able to access
the remote display.)  This brought forth realization that xkill, in
application, behaves nothing like kill.  Thank you all for the input, it
was most helpful.

of course, unless you are root on the X-server, or have assumed the
display, and thus the user identity <as was done here> of another, you
should not beable to x-kill just any client.  so, for at least part of
this discuassion and issue, x-kill is working similiar to kill in this
regard.  This is what others are saying as regards the security measures
in place, at least at the time of this 'experiment'.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne