Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Need help w/ Dell Windows security issue

From: Curt Wilson <netw3_security () hushmail com>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 22:01:10 -0000

I've found a DoS vulnerability in a Dell openmanage application on a Win2K
advanced server, and I am trying to discover if more can be done with the
issue. I have little experience in working with vulnerabilities at the
assembly and stack level.

Basically, a simple telnet to the open TCP port causes a particular
service to die.

"an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket"
"the exception generated was c0000005 at address 00403234 {<nosymbols>}"

Dr. Watson - exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

FAULT -> 00403224 8b07    mov   eax,[edi]         ds:00000000=????????

(stack dump, etc. snipped for public posting)

I attempted to send many 0x41 chars, and then checked the various
registers in the state dump (dr watson log file) but it does not appear
that my data is getting through. Something about the connection itself
breaks the service, whether it's a raw connection or a connection through
telnet. I'm trying to isolate what the application actually expects and
hope to have more information soon.

For all I know, nothing else can be done. However, given that my skills in
this particular area are in their early formative stage, maybe someone
else can provide some insight.

If anyone is kind enough to help analyze this issue further, please drop
me a line. If anyone else is running Dell servers with any of the
OpenManage applications for windows, please let me know.

Please direct any flames to /dev/null

Curt Wilson
Netw3 security
www.netw3.com