WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: post to bugtraq about "session fixation"

From: securityarchitect () hush com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:28:34 -0800

With respect I think its a great marketing paper but nothing more. You should never allow the same token to be used
over HTTP that is then valid over SSL. At least one variant of this attack relies on that assumption.

Correct way if for the user to enter username and password over SSL and session cookie is set to that browser session
over SSL. A pre-fixed cookie would get you to the public site (which maybe customized for a user experience but not
show logged in details) but shouldn't get you to anywhere other than a login screen.

This paper also assumes that application session management is closely tied to web server session management. IMHO its
not and this is a good reason why not. People think it is cause IIS and others still sends ASPSession IDs by default
but just because the cookie protcol says they get returned if the domain path matches, doesn't mean to say they get
processed by an app.

This is nothing new (although a good write-up).