WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: post to bugtraq about "session fixation"

From: Alex Russell <alex () netWindows org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:49:52 -0600

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 15:18, Kevin Spett wrote:
If the session management implementations of web application servers
(JRun and PHP are mentioned) allow users to specify session IDs, I would
consider it a legitimate problem.

Perhaps, but there are a lot of other requisite mistakes needed for this to
be an issue, such as:

        * the app must accept the SAME session IDs across both secured and
unsecured interactions
        * the app must not change the session id on a per-page or per-action basis
        * the app must not issue another "action specific" nonce to be used in
conjunction with the session ID to validate for sensitive actions

Lots of people rely on the
vendor-supplied APIs for session management.  If they had framed it more
as a potential weakness in web app design more than a revolutionary new
attack technique it would've been better.  I agree that the severity and
practicality of the attacks described in the paper have been exaggerated,
but saying it's marketting and nothing more is a little harsh.

I agree. For sites that have the multitue of problems necessaray to exploit
this, it's a serious issue.

Sure,
they took liberties saying that it's a widespread new type of attack, but
if they were going for pure marketting, they'd end up with something like
this:
http://www.forescout.com/e-tourinteractive10.html

My favorite claim in that flash marketing trainwreck: "Active scout blocks
all attacks, even the unknown ones". And we wonder why people find it hard
to trust security vendors...sigh...

--
Alex Russell
alex () netWindows org