WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Website "Scanner"

From: sullo () cirt net
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:21:16 -0500

Quoting backed.up.by.2048.bit.encryption () hushmail com:
Is there anything out there like a port scanner but for websites, where it
dictionary attacks the files. For example you plug in the domain:

Not that I know of. The closest I can think of are two functions I have in
Nikto, which can do two similar things currently:
1) guess Apache user names in a similar manner
 For example
   ~a
   ~aa
   etc

2) take all the files an mix them with all the directories from the scan
database, so that:
  /dir1/file1.html
  /dir2/file2.html
  /dir3/file3.html
 turns into requests for
  /dir1/file1.html
  /dir1/file2.html
  /dir1/file3.html
  /dir2/file1.html
  /dir2/file2.html
  /dir2/file3.html
  /dir3/file1.html
  /dir3/file2.html
  /dir3/file3.html

With 2000+ entries in the db this makes for a *lot* of guesses, but is not
exactly enumeration.

If there is nothing out there like this, why not?
The biggest reason is the time it would take for a somewhat comprehensive scan.

http://www.cirt.net/code/nikto.shtml

-Sullo