WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Website "Scanner"

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:57:14 +0100

sullo () cirt net wrote:

Quoting backed.up.by.2048.bit.encryption () hushmail com:
Is there anything out there like a port scanner but for websites, where it
dictionary attacks the files. For example you plug in the domain:

Not that I know of. The closest I can think of are two functions I have in
Nikto, which can do two similar things currently:
1) guess Apache user names in a similar manner For example
  ~a
  ~aa
  etc
Well, the user enumeration plugin could be trivially be modified to do a brute force attack of filenames too. The problem being, however, that the number of requests you are going to make are quite high (and increase exponentially). Maybe it would be better to try to first index the site (spider like), and then attempt to retrieve "mutated" filenames. For example, if you see index.html try: index.html.old, index.html.bak...

Regards

Javi