WebApp Sec mailing list archives

asp application problem.

From: "Sarbjit Singh Gill" <ssgill () gilltechnologies com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 01:32:09 +0800

Greetings folks,

I have a problem with a ASP classic application on W2k.

After a day, the application gets hang. On the task manager, we could see
three dllhost.exe. The third one is the problem. One dllhost.exe will be
running under System. The second will be IWAM_<computername> and the third
will also be IWAM_<computername>.

 ON doing "end process" on the IWAM_<computername> dllhost.exe process, the
application starts working fine. This happens
 once in a day. One a heavy load day, it happens a couple of times. Every
time after removing the IWAM_ related dllhost.exe and application starts
working fine.

There is  a SQL server(on the same box as IIS) in this application(IIS5,
SQL2000, asp classic). Could this be a virus. I have been told that the
Slammer affects the win32.dll(my guess) and/or dllhost.exe. When ever i am
removing(killing process from Task Manager) the third hostdll and our
application works fine.

I am more confused and i do not where to start to trouble shoot.

Could it be my IIS config? or Active X dll managment in my application. I
have checked the dll. They are ok coding wise.

Cheers
Gill