WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: webgoat breaking

From: <karifsmith () hotmail com>
Date: 21 May 2003 21:41:13 -0000

Ok.. I ended up getting past the first stage by looking at the source..
after all, it WAS on my PC ;)

But I'd like to know what the proper way to access the source code would
be.  I don't think that was mentioned in the WebGoat exercises.  Please
point me in the right direction if I'm just being dense..

Thanks!

Anyway, you can solve the authentication stage by figuring out how to
access the source code and then just checking the logic.  You're right
that it is not based on SQL.  Another solid reason for code review, but
that's another thread.  There is another way to get the credentials by
sniffing the network, but it's not realistic in most environments and was
intended to teach a different skill.

Good luck,

--Jeff

Jeff Williams