WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Reverse Proxy Server?

From: Bob Lee <crazybob () crazybob org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:44:18 -0500

Siteminder (http://www.netegrity.com/) does what you're looking for. I've also worked with custom NSAPI solutions built on the Netscape Proxy Server (though it may be getting dated now).

Bob

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 09:47 AM, Dean Thompson wrote:

I hope this is the right place to post this...

We develop numerous internal web applications that we occasionally need to publish to customers. In very sensitive scenarios, we will force them to use a VPN to connect. In others, we just publish a server/app beyond the firewall. I would like to see a solution that could handle both scenarios easily, and would not require that I put multiple servers or apps outside the firewall.

My thoughts were to use something like what Anonymizer (http://www.anonymizer.com) does. Essentially, it just forwards requests for you, and returns the information to you. So, if someone out there went to http://mydomain.com and logged in, they could then go to http://mydomain.com?server=someserver (or something like that). Does anyone out there know of a tool like this that is already available? I would prefer a Windows platform, but 'nix is acceptable.

Thanks,
Dean