WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Security tool for monitoring HTTPS traffic?

From: dd <dd () ghettohackers net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:20:52 -0800

ssldump, just provide the servers private key/cert.

dd

John Reilly wrote:

Are they products they can look inside HTTPS traffic? Some
customers doesn't
trust HTTPS traffic going inside the company over the proxy!

There is no way to look at the plain text content inside

the https traffic

- that would defeat the whole purpose of https.

4 words: Man in the middle.

It's perfectly possable to intercept the inital exchange, and present the apperence of HTTPS, while evesdropping on the plain text.

Yes, you can do a man in the middle attack - I was thinking about passive
interception, which is what I thought was being asked about (a product to
look into any arbitrary https stream going through a proxy).