WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Tomcat on port 80 or Java as root

From: Rajkumar S <listuser () myrealbox com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:24:48 +0530

Harshul Nayak wrote:
AFAIK tomcat is a servlet container running on apache.

Tomcat can also listen to port 80 and serve pages with out apache. From the responses I get a feeling not much reserch has not gone into tomcat web server. I know running any thing as root is bad, but beyond that I am looking for some sort of analysis of Tomcat Security.

Same is the case with tux. As it is running inside kernel (some what similar to IIS, I believe) the risks are more, but even after quite a bit of searching I could not find any security analysis of Tux.

raj